Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chicken Quesadilla

So this is semi-primal . . . but when I need me some Tex-Mex it really hits the spot!  One of my favorite go-to meals when I need a quick and satisfying dinner!

Chicken Quesadillas
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 pound chicken, diced small
1/2 serrano pepper, minced
4-5 green onions, minced
1/2 can corn kernels
1/2 can black beans
shredded Monterrey Jack and Cheddar cheese blend
8" sprouted corn tortillas (or your tortilla of choice)**
spices: cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a 12 in skillet.  Add chicken and spices to taste.  (I usually use about 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano and salt and pepper to taste).  Cook until chicken is no longer pink - I often squish the chicken with the back of my wooden spoon while cooking to help it cook faster.  The squished chicken also mimics shredded chicken that is traditionally used in quesadillas.

When chicken is done, add green onions, pepper,  beans and corn and heat through.  Remove to a bowl and wipe out your skillet (carefully) with a paper towel.  Now it's time to assemble those quesadillas!

Lay a tortilla on the hot pan and sprinkle generously with cheese - the cheese is the "glue" that holds the quesadilla together!  Spoon some of your chicken mixture on top and sprinkle with more cheese.  Lay another tortilla on top to finish it off.  Cook over medium heat until the tortilla is lightly browned on the bottom (3-5 minutes).  Carefully flip the quesadilla and cook on the other side for 3-5 minutes or until the second side is browned.

Slice in half and serve with your favorite salad or vegetable!

**I LOVE flour tortillas - a true Texas girl, I know!  But, they're not primal at all.  I've substituted a sprouted corn tortilla in an effort to make this more primal.  It's still not strictly primal, but I'm happy to substitute this when I need some good Tex-Mex and don't want to go completely off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment