Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

This is It!

I have reached it . . . the point where I know change MUST happen.  I have spent so long wishing for change and hoping that things will turn out differently, but nothing really has.  You know . . . the definition of insanity . . .

This journey started last fall when I realized I was eating way too much sugar, so I started a journey to eliminate most unnatural sugars in my diet.  As a part of that process, I learned that I CAN live without Coca Cola.  And I have learned that sugar really is addictive - the more you eat, the more you crave.

But then Thanksgiving hit . . . and then Christmas . . . and all the progress I had made from the early fall was derailed.  I have struggled since Christmas to get back on track with eating a low sugar and small portions diet.  I've gained weight and lost confidence in my struggle against my eating habits.

Additionally, in the last year, my migraines and allergies have gotten worse.  So, I started looking into a gluten-free diet in an effort to eliminate migraines.  Then I remembered a friend had mentioned the Paleo diet back in the early fall and I began to research.  There are a lot of things that make sense to me about it - modern grains are not necessary for humans to thrive.  Overindulgence in grains in sugar appears to be the root of many diseases these days.

In reading all about the Paleo/Primal diet, it appears that following this type of diet can cure a number of things that ail me - migraines, IBS, depression, auto-immune thyroid disorder, high cholesterol, elevated blood pressure, allergies, and joint pain plus produce weight loss, increase satiety, reduce cravings, give me a clearer mind and more energy.  It almost sounds too good to be true.  Maybe it is, but I've read so many success stories and talked to others who have benefited from this lifestyle that I believe it's worth a try.  I'm cautiously optimistic that all of these things can happen for me.

So, this is the it - changes are happening and I'm easing into the Primal lifestyle.  For me it's about health and conquering sin.  Conquering the sin of overeating, making poor choices in my diet and the sin of feeling miserable about myself because of my sin.  This is a deeply spiritual journey for me; the result of a lot of prayer.  I know that I cannot do this on my own, but through God's power and strength I know that this sin can be overcome. 

I'm done with counting calories and trying to fill up on low calorie/low fat foods that always leave me hungry.  I am longing for a diet of real food that satisfies my hunger and still allows me to drop to my optimal size.

This week, I am beginning the transformation by easing into the diet.  I am using up things that I have that are not Primal while I transition to things that are.  My goal is to eat as much as I can primally while allowing for some flexibility in using up my pantry ingredients.  Next week I hope to all but eliminate grains and take it a step further the following week.  This is a long term lifestyle for me not simply a fad that I hope to use to lost quick weight.  For my health, given my family heath issues, I need to stay with this for life.

The Game Plan:
Eat lots of: meat, fish, poultry, eggs, vegetables
Eat some of: healthy fats, starchy vegetables, nuts, seeds, nut butters
Eat rarely: quinoa, wild rice, legumes, added sugar/honey
Eat next to never: grains and processed foods

My goals:
To transform from a sugar burner to a fat burner
80-90% adherence
Lose 20 pounds
Slow exercise 3-5 times per week
Intense exercise once a week
Gain more energy
Gain clearer mind
Gain clearer skin
Eliminate IBS
Eliminate allergies
Eliminate migraines
Eliminate joint pain 
Stop taking Lexapro within 1 year
Stop taking Synthroid within 1 year
Reduce cholesterol
Reduce blood pressure
Increase satiety
Reduce sugar/grain cravings


No comments:

Post a Comment